ALBUMINA powder (OVENEVE)
ALBUMINA is a product obtained from egg whites. After the freeze-dry process, all the water is removed, leaving the pure protein of the egg white.
ALBUMINA is a substitute for liquid egg whites, but as it is humidity free, it allows you to apply it to various products or recipes, which were previously impossible.
The ratio of water to ALBUMINA POWDER is 10:1 to create a ‘pure egg white’. Water can be substituted for any fat-free liquid, such as pulp or purees, which allows you to flavour the egg white, but continue to work without excess humidity. For example, when creating flavoured meringues, mousse or marshmallows.
- There is no risk of egg contamination to your recipes. Even with warm applications (warms mousse, mayonnaise, etc.) you can still use this powder without the risk of temperature control and bacteria levels in the egg
- This is an easy to handle produce
- A stable product; the ‘pure egg white’ will not separate, no matter how much you beat it, and once the egg has risen and the “meringue” has formed, it will not fall. It is perfect to use during mise-en-place, as it can be left while you continue with other preparations
- The ‘pure egg white’ product can be frozen, such as meringue or marshmallows; due to the properties of the ALBUMINA, the product will not crystallize and can ensure the same texture after defrosting
- Powdered Egg gives 25% more Volume and is 5 times more stable than fresh egg whites.
- As in liquid egg whites, ALBUMINA will not rise when combined with fats, however a siphon can be used to create a foam
- Items with high acidity, such as pineapple, kiwis or tomatoes, will not allow ALBUMINA to rise, as the enzymes contained in these products counteract the rising agent of the ALBUMINA. To use ALBUMINA with high-acidity products you can create a pulp (such as pineapple fruit pulp), which must be cooked to 62ºC to break down the acidic enzymes in the food, however by heating to this temperature, it was affect the final taste of the pulp.
Other applications for ALBUMINA POWDER:
ALBUMINA allows you to explore low temperature egg preparations, without the risk of contamination, and with flavors and techniques that normal fresh eggs would not allow you to do.
Please scroll down for Recipes:-
Mulled Wine Marshmallow (Taken from my 12 days of Christmas 2011)
Not keen on mince pies but still want something after dinner that`s got the seasonal touch then try my Mulled wine Marshmallows.
- 500g Caster Sugar
- 200g Water
- 100g SOSA Glucose
- 13 Leaves Gelatine (soak in Cold water)
- 175g Red Wine
- 18g SOSA Albumina
- 1/2 orange Zest Fine
- 1/4 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- SOSA anti-humidity Icing sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Grated Nutmeg
- Whisk the Red wine, Albumina & spices on an Kitchen aid.
- Boil the Cater Sugar, Water & Glucose to 130C
- One the Sugar solution reaches 130C remove from heat & stir in the Soaked gelatine.
- Then Pour the Gelatine/Sugar Mix onto the Whisked Red Wine/Albumina.
- Continue whisking until cool but not set.
- Transfer to a tray lined with Cling film & sieved Anti-humidity sugar mixed with ground Cinnamon & grated nutmeg.
- Leave to set. Then cut and re coat in more of the Sugar & spice mix.
Macaroons (Sorry Just a little fun as its approaching Halloween). Direct Macaroon (No need to rest to skin over before cooking)
* 500g Sugar
* 220g Water
- Make an Italian Meringue, (Boil the Sugar & 220g Water to 118C then pour onto the Whisked 155g Water & Albumina. Whisk until cold).
-Incorporate the Meringue into the Marzipan and Mix well.
-Pipe the Macaroon mix onto Silicone Mats and cook at 160C without allowing it to sit.
Classic Macaroon Mix
* 50g Sugar
* 20g SOSA Albumina
* 180g Water
* 450g Icing Sugar
* 250g SOSA Almond Flour/Ground Almonds
-Mix and whisk well the Sugar, Albumina and Water.
-Use a spatula to delicatley fold in the Almond flour and Icing sugar to achieve a Firm Shiny Paste.
-Pipe the Mixture onto Silicone Mats and allow to rest until it skins over.
-When the surface is dry, cook at 160C.
#Tip# I have found when doing classic macaroons its best to Blend the Almond Flour/Ground Almonds with the Icing sugar and pass through a drum Sieve.
#Tip# To speed up the drying process, You can dry under hot lights, Just make sure you have no Base heat other wise they will not rise.
A short Video how to make the Direct Macaroons.
Fake “poached egg” made with chicken stock:
- Mix 1L of chicken stock to 100g of ALBUMINA
- Lightly grease a sheet of cling film and use a mould to create a concave shape
- Drop an egg yolk into the mould and fill with the chicken stock mix
- Cook in a hot water bath over 62.5ºC for 4 minutes
- Unwrap and serve
You can substitute the chicken stock for any flavored liquid, savory or sweet, as well as the yolk, which can be also substituted for any kind of spherification.
To centre the egg yolk or spherification, you can add GELCREM COLD to the chicken stock mixture. This will thicken the mix, allowing the egg yolk stay in the middle, but, by heating the ‘poached egg’ in the hot water bath, the GELCREM COLD will dissolve, allowing the yolk stay in the same place.